To make broadcasting and collating information easier, WhatsApp has introduced WhatsApp Channels.
In this article, I am going to explain you every bits and bytes of WhatsApp Channels like What it is and How to use it?
In today’s digital era, building an online community collaborating with like minded people is an ultimate task to achieve success.
That’s why most social media nowadays are offering features to create a community.
However, seeing a large number of users, the instant messaging platforms have also integrated community features in them.
Telegram, the first instant messaging app to add a community feature in it called channels have now inspired WhatsApp as well to do the same.
WhatsApp has also added the channels feature in it.
This feature now makes it easier to broadcast messages among a large group of people.
What are WhatsApp Channels?
WhatsApp channel is a one way broadcast tool for channel admin.
Through the channel, the admin can share text, photos, videos, stickers, and polls to all the people who follow the channel.
The main motive behind building this feature is to create a private space where one can share or find information regarding their favorite niche.
WhatsApp Channel Features
- As I said, it is a one way broadcasting tool, it allows only the admin of the channel to send messages to the channel followers.
- It protects the identity of both the channel admin as well as their followers. It hides the phone number and profile photo of the channel admin, on the other hand, it also hides the phone number of the channel followers from the channel admin as well as from the other followers of the channel.
- For now, WhatsApp stores the channel history for 30 days but in coming days, the updates shared on the channel will disappear even faster from the followers.
- The channel admin can block followers to take screenshots and forward content shared on the channel.
- The admin can control who can follow their channel (which means they can block a channel member from using it). Also, the admin can decide whether they want to make their discoverable on the WhatsApp channel directory or not.
- Do note that WhatsApp channels are not end-to-end encrypted. WhatsApp says they might make end-to-end encrypted channels available to select organizations like NGO or health organizations.
How to use WhatsApp Channels?
Users who are looking to use the channels can find it on a new tab called Updates.
In this new tab, users can find two sets of information.
- Channels (they follow)
In the status, they will see the status of their contact which is already present in WhatsApp right now.
Below the status, they will see the updates from the channels they follow. See the below screenshot to get more ideas.
Through the search icon, users can explore more channels to follow.
WhatsApp Channel Availability
This feature is currently rolling out in Colombia and Singapore but it will soon be available to more countries.
If you look at this feature from business perspective, it is quite profitable.
For example, by creating a channel with millions of followers you can easily market a niche driven product among them.
Or you can drive a targeted traffic to your website.
There are many possibilities of utilizing channels. What do you think? Let me know in the comments below.